Friday, November 11, 2011

digital DECpc LPx 560

Happy Veteran's Day!

This year, I've been interested in old computers again. I started looking in thrift stores for Packard Bells and other machines. In 2009, I found a somewhat "old" computer (probably made around 1997), but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. However, when I went to a Value Village store this April, I found a computer that was pretty much exactly what I've been looking for as far as a vintage PC is concerned (though I would like to find an even older PC - like the TeleVideo).


The computer I found was a digital DECpc LPx 560. I haven't found a whole lot of information on it on the internet, though there are a few online ads for it. Considering that this computer came out in the early-to-mid '90s, it's not too surprising that this machine cost over $2,000! Anyway, the computer appears to have been built in August 1994 and has a 60 MHz Socket 4 Pentium processor - along with approximately 8 MB of RAM and a 516 MB hard drive. It also has a 5.25" floppy drive (one of the reasons I wanted this computer - it's really the mark of a true vintage machine), a 3.5" floppy drive, and a CD-ROM drive. So, it has a mix of old and "new" technology - another thing I like about this machine. Makes a good all-in-one computer.


I haven't used this computer a lot, as I don't want to wear it out, and plus, I don't have any real "need" for it (other than for collection's sake). However, the few times I have used it, it seems to work and runs MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1. There are even some programs left over from the previous owner - I think little kids' games.


I haven't fully tested this computer, so I don't know if everything works. For instance, I haven't tested the CD-ROM or 5.25" floppy drive. The 3.5" drive I have used a little, though, and it appears to work. I don't really know much more to say about this computer for now, other than I'm glad I found this one when I did. It really has a vintage feel to it.

2 comments:

Joe said...

This morning, I tested the 5.25" floppy drive and the CD-ROM drive. Both of the drives do appear to work. Actually, I haven't tested the 5.25" drive to see if it writes, but it does appear to read data, anyway.

The bad news, though, is that putting the computer back together and re-connecting the cables from the drives, I've started having problems with the A: drive. I get error messages about Diskette A: failure and/or Invalid Configuration Settings - depending on how or where I connect the drives to the cables. I tried another drive, and if I put it in the right spot, it works better, though I still don't know why that other floppy drive would go bad so fast - especially since I've hardly used that computer. I suppose it's possible, but I'm still going to try some more things to see if I can figure this thing out.

Joe said...

Another update. I tested the floppy drive in my Packard Bell Legend 18CD. As it turns out, the drive didn't work in that computer, either. That computer also gave a Diskette Drive Failure message. So, I guess it does appear that the drive is the problem. Either it went bad suddenly, or maybe something got damaged while I was working with it. I hear a little rattling sound, and I've also noticed the pins for the IDE cable are kind of bent. Who knows?