Tuesday, August 14, 2012

RCA SelectaVision VGT650 Top Loading VCR

Since the spring of 2011, I have gone to Value Village and other similar thrift stores because I learned how many cheap, cool things are there.  On July 18, 2012, I was fortunate to encounter a top loading VCR.  I was amazed at how large and heavy it was.  After seeing it in the store, I debated as to whether or not I should buy it, but finally, on July 21st, I gave in and bought my very first top loading VCR, which I later learned was an RCA SelectaVision VGT650, manufactured in June 11, 1982.  This thing really blows newer VCRs out of the water with all its ports, buttons, etc.  That's one thing that makes old stuff cooler than the newer stuff - they have so many more buttons, controls, parts, etc., so they're naturally more interesting.  While new stuff is practical and cool-looking, sometimes they are so plain, small, and bland that they just aren't as interesting.












Believe it or not, I didn't get around to taking pictures of it or testing it until only a few days ago (you can blame procrastination for that).  Although it accepted the home video copy from 1993, when I pressed "play," it would play for a few seconds and stop.  When I ejected the tape, I learned that it had eaten the tape.  At least the roller guides had returned to the default position, and the VCR didn't shut off.  I have encountered two VCRs in that condition, and it is very frustrating.  Although the VCR doesn't work, I am very glad to have such a vintage VCR in my collection.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Change the belts and rubber idler tyre that sits between the suppy reel hub and take hub and it should work fine.