Saturday, October 21, 2017

Process Lasso Doesn't Work

In both of the past two days, I've had a more concrete example showing that Process Lasso isn't very useful.  I've had instup.exe suddenly start - causing my audio to stutter.  Since changing "Priority class" has generally not been much help, I've tried to change the I/O priority of instup.exe from "Normal" to "Very low[.]"  However, instead, I got a stupid error message that said, "You either do not have sufficient rights, or the OS does not support the specified I/O priority."

That defeats the whole point of Process Lasso!  If you can't change the priority to lower its resource usage, then what good is it!?  Seriously!  Process Lasso doesn't automatically reduce resource usage, and it won't allow manual resource reduction, either.  It serves no purpose and doesn't do what it has been advertised to do.  If it doesn't allow users to forcibly restrain resources, then it is not any different than other task managers like Process Explorer, which also give similar error messages when trying to end processes or do similar things.

If a program is using abnormally high resources, and if Process Lasso doesn't automatically restrain it, I want to manually restrain it.  I don't care about "having sufficient rights" or if "the OS does not support the specified I/O priority."  No.  I already played those games with Task Manager and Process Explorer.  Process Lasso is supposed to be different.  It's supposed to give users ACTUAL control.  If Process Lasso doesn't automatically restrain a program's resource usage, then I WILL.  I got Process Lasso for a reason - not to be given the same crap as other task managers.  I don't care if I have to use brute force to restrain a program's resource usage.  I...want...the program...to stop - by any means necessary.  Do not give me any bullcrap error messages.

Anyway, my rant's over.

No comments: